What does this exception mean and How to fix it - "The package failed to load due to error 0xC0011008"

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

If DFLD throws the following exception, then most likely you have multiple vesrions of SQL Server residing on the same server

"The package failed to load due to error 0xC0011008. Error loading from XML. No further detailed error information can be specified for this problem because no Events object was passed where detailed error information can be stored.This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails."

DFLD discovers SSIS packages built with SQL Server 2005 and upwards. The path environment variable determines which version of SSIS Application is used to load your package. For instance if you are trying to execute DFLD on a SSIS SQL Server 2012 package but your path is pointing to a SQL Server 2008 version of SSIS Application then this error is raised.

How to fix this exception ? It quite simple. Just re-arrange the required version of SQL Server to be ahead of the other versions. For instance re-arrange SQL Server 2012 paths (\Microsoft SQL Server\110) to be ahead of earlier versions like SQL 2008 (\Microsoft SQL Server\100). And also the 64-bit path must be ahead of the x86 path, if you are using a 64 bit version.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Which path needs to be placed first for SQL 2012?

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn" or a different one.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
scuba79 wrote:

Which path needs to be placed first for SQL 2012?

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn" or a different one.

I would also include C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn. So path environment variable will resemble something like the one shown below. Notice that x64 path is ahead of x86 as well.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I tried your suggestion but still getting the same error. Here is the path structure of my computer. 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\

Any suggestions on changing them?  I appreciate the assistance as I really want to use this process that you created and I'm not that well versed in changing environment variables.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Did you restart your computer after setting the path variable ? Most desktop OS require restart for the newly added/updated environment variable to take effect.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Yes, I did restart the computer each time I made a change to the path environment.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Here is the command line I used,  I have tried the parameters with the entire word or just the shorthand and still the same thing

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Backup_Files>dfld /package:TLMSStagin
g.dtsx /server:localhost /database:ETLMetaData

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM
scuba79,

were you able to ever resolve this error? I'm gettig the same thing on my vs 2012 instance when I try to open existing packages from TFS.

I re-arranged by PATH variables as well, but didn't seem to work.

thanks
Scott
Nov 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM
Edited Nov 24, 2016 at 2:47 AM
Hi Benny,

Has this error been resolved? I am facing the same issue now.

After facing lot of hiccups with the .dlls and resolving them, I am getting this issue now. I am having SQL Server 2014, 2012 and 2008 in my DEV machine. And have re-arranged the PATH variable to prioritize 2012 version. But this error does not seem to go. Is there a way to resolve this? I see that the thread has been left without a solution for a long time.

Also, is there a latest version of this DFDL Discoverer for latest SQL and .Net version?